Conservation of biological diversity
COMPONENT 3. CONSERVATION OF BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY: IMPLEMENTATION OF SAP BIO AND RELATED NAPS
The activities within this component aim to maintain the long-term function of the Mediterranean Large Marine Ecosystem through the implementation of an ecologically-coherent network of protected areas for the sustainable use of renewable marine resources. A number of short-term measures initiated in SAP BIO will be further developed and implemented through replicable demonstration activities in biodiversity representative areas of the Mediterranean. Longer-term sustainability is ensured through a series of targeted capacity-building and enabling activities that focus on both national and sub-regional levels to improve capacity for policy development and its subsequent transfer into management for biodiversity conservation.
Sub-component 3.1: Conservation of Coastal and Marine Diversity through the Development of a Mediterranean Marine Protected Area (MPA) Network(Executing partners WWF-MedPO and UNEP/MAP-SPA/RAC)
The main aim of this component is to promote the creation, perpetuation and operation of a Mediterranean ecological network of marine protected areas.The activities of this sub-component focus on:
- Identification and planning of new MPAs to extend the regional network and enhance its ecological representativeness;
- Improved management of marine protected areas;
- Ensure the financial Sustainability of regional and national MPA networks.
Sub-component 3.2: Promote the sustainable use of fisheries resources through the application of ecosystem-based management approaches(Executing partner FAO)
The main aim of this sub-component is to promote the sustainable use of fisheries resources through the application of ecosystem-based management approaches.The activities of this sub-component focus on:
- Application of the Ecosystem approach to fisheries management at regional and subregional levels;
- Addressing bycatch of regionally important species at a fleet level;
- Supporting fishermen participation in monitoring and management of coastal MPA’s.